[vpn-help] One tunnel works, other does not on Win7

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 07:31:05 CDT 2013

Hi,
I have a working tunnel configuration (from Shrew on WinXP to ZyXEL ZyWALL (USG 20) as per
user guide)
that I have transferred between different PC's and across Shrew versions with
results like: (of course every remote PC uses different ID and virtual adapter IP, to start with)

- PC1: WinXP, Shrew 2.0.0 (approx, don't have this pc on hand exactly now but d/l and done about May),
Windows Firewall + Avast! AV
Result : it works. Tunnel is established and passes traffic. No problem. Have NOT tried latest Shrew.

- PC2: Win7, Shrew 2.2.0 (downloaded about a week ago), Windows Firewall
Result: it works, tunnel is established and passes traffic. No problem.

- PC3 : Win7, tried Shrew 2.2.0 and 2.0.0, ZoneAlarm AV+FW;
Result : NO. Tunnel is reported established, SA's show up, firewall rules too, but no traffic can pass,
The tunnel also does show up in the gw's VPN IPSEC monitor OK, but no incoming traffic (Rx Bytes always zero).
I tried snoozing the AV and FW temporarily before establishing the tunnel, no difference.

- PC1 and PC3 were tried from the same remote location behind NAT (i.e. NAT traversal is actually
on on gw and shrew, and obviously works), PC2 is somewhere completely different;

- shrew configs are obviously modified between PC1 2 and 3 so they can access the gw simultaneously
and that works where the tunnel works (on PC1 and 2), to the point that

- trying to establish tunnels from PC2 and PC3 simultaneously also works (is established on both)
but only tunnel to PC1 passes traffic anyway.

What can I try (preferably on the PC1 with XP and pc3 where it doesn't work) to narrow it down?

Kind Regards,
Lukasz