[vpn-help] Windows Store App can't open a TCP Socket while using VPN.

Sörnt Poppe soernt.poppe at orbylon.de
Mon Jun 23 02:04:18 CDT 2014

Bug report

Problem:

A Windows Console Application works fine, while the Windows Store App
not. Both programs are working fine when not using a VPN at all.
I contacted the  MS Application Developer Support and send them both
apps. After some phone calls and Skype message it turns out that both
programs are running fine within their Test Lab. I installed the
"Routing and RAS" services at my Windows Home Server, configured the
port fowarding at the FritzBox and use the MS VPN Client to connect to
my Network. In that situation both apps are working fine while using a VPN.
It looks like that the Screw Soft VPN Client is not compatible with
Windows Store Apps.

MS fixed an issues they had with their own VPN Client at Windows 8, it
got fixed with this Hotfix (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2797356). At
Windows 8.1 the hoftix is not necessary.

To reproduce:

Within a Windows Store App: Try open a TCP Socket to a Service which is
located within the VPN.
Do you need the two mentioned test programs to check that issue?

VPN Client version = 2.2.2. Windows
Windows OS Version = Windows 8.1 64 bit
Gateway make/model = FritzBox 7490
Gateway Software version = 6.05

--
Nordlicht Software UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Flogsand 21, 26125 Oldenburg

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Oldenburg, HRB 207681
Geschäftsführer: Sörnt Poppe
USt-IdNr.: DE288119062