[vpn-help] Continuing Windows 8.1 issues

James Angi james at angifamily.net
Wed Mar 12 15:51:14 CDT 2014

I (too/still) am unable to use Shrewsoft (2.2.2) on Windows 8.1.  When
connecting I get a "negotiation timeout."  I am connecting to a Juniper
Netscreen firewall that Shrewsoft has been able to connect to for years
across several versions of shrew, windows, and netscreen firmware.  The VPN
profile has not changed at all during that time.  Also, this profile works
fine with Shrew 2.2.2 on Windows 7 (and it worked on 8.0 before I upgraded).

Here is what I have done to try and remedy this problem:
1) Reinstalled Shrewsoft (remove software and uninstall network filter
driver, reboot, install)
2) Removed Shrew, installed another IPSEC VPN product (NCP), installed shrew
3) Completey reset TCP/IP (netsh int ip reset, netsh int ipv6 reset, netsh
winsock catalog reset, after which repeat #1

There is not (and never has been) any 3rd party antivirus or firewall
installed on either of the two win 8.1 machines experiencing this problem.
 The built-in windows firewall has been disabled.

If anyone has any other ideas I'd really appreciate it... it's getting old
having to RDP into a Win7 machine to get work done.

Thanks,
James