[vpn-help] Split DNS not working

John Michael Fischer johnmichael.fischer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 11:12:02 CDT 2015

Hello,
  I recently setup Shrew to replace a Cisco DNS client in Windows 10.
Standard features work great.  I wanted Split DNS and purchased a pro
license, but it isn't working.
Other than the connection credentials, my configuration is
Policy > Uncheck "Obtain Topology Automatically...."
Policy > Add > Add the /8 corresponding to the network I want included
This works great, and IPs in that /8 are routed over the VPN while other
traffic is not.
Moving to DNS settings...
DNS > Enable DNS (checked)
DNS > Obtain Auto [DNS] (checked)
DNS > Suffix Obtain Auto (checked)
Split DNS > Enable (checked)
Split DNS > Obtain Auto (unchecked)
Split DNS > Add > bigCompanyWithSlashEight.com

Save.
Connect.

Open browser/terminal and try internaldomain.bigCompanyWithSlashEight.com
and I get an error saying cannot be resolved.

If I open a terminal and use ipconfig /all to get the DNS servers on that
adapter, then do
nslookup internaldomain DNS_FROM_VPN_ADAPTER
it works

Help?  This is the actual reason I paid for the software :(