[vpn-help] Failing to install the Shrew VPN Client 2.2.2 on Win8.1 64bits

Jean Lamontagne (ObjeXpert) jlamontagne at objexpert.com
Sun Jan 4 20:22:33 CST 2015

Hi Alexis & al,

I unfortunately do not have such fresh Win8 computer available. Mine is almost fresh considering a Full Win8.1 Repair/Upgrade has been required in order to formally uninstall the Cisco VPN Client … I was unable to do that before that repair.

Do you know if a new Shrew VPN client version is on the drawing board? (i.e.: v2.2.3 or v3). I would be more than willing to give it a trial. I have nothing to lose …

I know other Shrew users have got problems after the big Microsoft KB3000850 had been installed, which is the latest Microsoft SChannel implementation and that is specific to Win8.1. To make Shrew working, they have been forced to remove this KB. Unfortunately, for corporate policy reasons, I can NOT afford to do soL

Does anyone, having Win8 or more preferably Win8.1 installed, could send me an export of their current registry for the following Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I used the Windows Sysinternals Process Monitor v3.1 <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx>  to monitor the registry activities while running the Shrew v2.2.2 installer and I have noticed some ACCESS_DENIED when the Shrew installer is setting some very specific registry values à RootDevice and FilterList from {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000?\Linkage. I would use this export to validate my current Shrew installation (from a registry point-of-view) and potentially manually fixing it.

IMHO, any new Shrew versions will have to be tested against this KB3000850 <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3000850> . As far as I know, Microsoft is NOT anymore providing improvements over Win8 (only patches and security fixes) … by opposition to Win8.1 which is still on the improvement path. As far as can see, this KB will be integral part of any new Windows releases.

Have a great dayJ

Jean Lamontagne
Senior Software Consultant/
Consultant principal en logiciels