[vpn-help] ShrewSoft VPN Problem with new USB Mobile Broadband

Rohan rohanvd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 23:13:11 CST 2015

Hi. First just a thankyou note - the ShrewSoft VPN Client has been a
lifesaver for me on many occasions.

On my laptop (Win8.1 x64), I use the Shrewsoft client to connect to our old
Cisco VPN (when I need to use split tunnelling), which has worked well with
previous USB mobile broadband adapters.

I recently tried to upgrade from a Sierra AirCard 760S (working fine) to a
Huawei E5786s, connected via USB.

With the Huawei device I was unable to get any internet connection when the
Shrewsoft client is installed (the PC seems to be unable to acquire an IP
address from the USB device acting as gateway). I found that disabling the
"Shrew Soft Lightweight Filter" in the networking properties allows the
internet connection to function normally and the PC can acquire an address
(but of course then I can't VPN).

Any suggestion on how to fix ?

Thanks.