[vpn-help] split dns does not appear to be working

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Wed Jun 17 16:35:51 CDT 2015

Windows 7x64 machine, running Shrew 2.2.2 with Professional license.

I have tunnel setup using split dns, however when the tunnel is up, the
default dns for local usage is being "changed" to the dns server at the other
side of the tunnel.

Basically looks like the Shrew virtual adaptor's DNS settings are taking
precedence over the local nic dns settings.

in the Shrew client Adaptor mode is set to "Use a virtual adaptor and
assigned address"  as I've got a static ip manually set, in the subnet for
the other end of the vpn tunnel.

This of course breaks access to local lan resources while the VPN is up,
which is kinda the whole reason for using split dns in the first place so
this doen't happen.

What should I be looking at for troubleshooting?
--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting Ltd.