[vpn-help] Mac Yosemite resolv.conf problems

Jeff Larsen jlar310 at gmail.com
Fri May 29 15:58:45 CDT 2015

I know there is not official support for Mac yet, but I have run into
a show-stopper while testing the 2.2.0 version of the .dmg package
downloaded from shrew.net.

On Yosemite (I don't know about other versions), /etc/resolv.conf is a
symlink to /var/run/resolv.conf. It seems that the system always looks
to /var/run/resolv.conf for DNS lookups.

I have observed that the VPN Client writes a new /etc/resolv.conf
file, removing the symlink. So /etc/resolv.conf has the correct
settings for the VPN connection but differs from the
/var/run/resolv.conf which is what the system looks to. So DNS looks
for hosts on the network to which we have connected will fail.

Fortunately, when the VPN is disconnected, the symlink is restored so
no permanent damage is done. But without DNS lookups for hosts behind
the firewall, the VPN connection has little value for typical users
with no technical know-how.

Any chance of a fix?

I am using the latest tun/tap library from
http://tuntaposx.sourceforge.net/ if that matters. I guess I don't
know for sure if it's fair to blame the VPN client for the resolv.conf
file updates.

Thanks,

Jeff