[vpn-help] Windows 10 - Cisco ASA - DNS Not Working

Brian belstsrv at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 07:35:50 CDT 2015

Hello All.

I purchased the Shrew VPN client a few weeks ago as I upgraded my laptop
to Windows 10, knowing that the Cisco client does not work on Windows 10
and I had good success using the free Shrew version on my tablet that
had Windows 8.

The endpoint of the network I am trying to link in to is a Cisco ASA
(unsure of model).  Using Windows 7 and the Cisco client, I could
connect and access anything on the other end using IP or DNS names.

Using Shrew though, I can connect to the VPN and ping things on the
other side of the network.  I can access things using IP addresses and I
can also access servers using DNS names but ONLY if the server has no
public DNS already.  Any server that has a public DNS seems to get
resolved by my router at my house and is not sent over the tunnel.  In
many cases, we have a public DNS to a server that people might use for
FTP connectivity, but I may want to RDP in to that server from the VPN
side of things.  But, when I connect to the VPN and then try and RDP, I
get the public IP of the server and thus the RDP fails to connect.

I've tried lots of combinations of Split DNS, forcing DNS servers, and
policy setups and nothing seems to force the VPN to be the first option
for DNS lookup.  I would even be OK with routing ALL the traffic over
the VPN if needed, although that is not optimal, I know.

Does anyone have suggestions on what might be causing the VPN to not be
the default for lookups like the Cisco VPN client was doing?

Thanks for any help you can provide!