[vpn-help] VPN works on windows, not on linux

Zoogtfyz zoogtfyz at protonmail.com
Thu Apr 21 08:12:41 CDT 2016

On Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise, English version, 64bit edition everything works fine. I download the Shrew Soft VPN Client from the shrew.net webpage, version 2.2.2-release, install it, add the config file I am provided from my work place, click connect and everything just works.

On the same machine, I dual-boot to Debian 8.4 32bit. I installed 'ike' from Debian repositories, add the config file I am provided from my work place, click connect, and it does not work. I tried it both as sudo and as normal. There is no software firewall (no iptables), nor hardware firewall at my home nor at my workplace.

I tested it as well by booting a Live-CD of Lubuntu 16.04 32bit and it does not work either.

The log is identical to the one at https://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2016-February/015360.html , and the config is the same as well, except for 'network-host' and 'client-dns-addr'. The routes are the same as well.

I tried the suggestions in https://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2008-November/000950.html but it made no difference.

I tried the Policy Generation level changes, but it made no difference.