[vpn-help] Virtual adapter disappears

Riccardo Castellani caste.ricca at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 14:16:41 CST 2016

In Windows 7 environment It’s listed "Shrew Soft virtual adapter” in network adapters of device manager.
This virtual device is usually disabled and I verified, as soon as tunnel is up, it will be enabled.

When tunnel is up and virtual adapter is enabled:
virtual adapter disappears in device manager while both “ifconfig” and “route print” commands show it.
When tunnel is down and virtual adapter is disabled:
virtual adapter is listed in device manager but both “ifconfig” and “route print” output show no reference to this adapter, why?

Can someone help me to understand this mechanism?