[vpn-help] WIndows 10 install and tunnel problem resolution (works for me)

Carlos Costa e Silva carlos at keysoft.pt
Fri Feb 17 12:21:56 CST 2017

Hi,

Seems many users (including me) have problems with windows 10 and
shrewsoft vpn. For me, the vpn was working on a migrated windows 8 ->
windows 10 system, but when I got a new pc and a new install of windows
10 shrewsoft vpn didn’t work.

After a lot of looking, this fix solved the problems for me:
http://www.ruudborst.nl/shrewsoft-vpn-filter-blocks-traffic-on-windows-1
0/

---

Shrew Soft VPN filter blocks traffic on Windows 10

Because of management reasons we have to use Cisco VPN Client or
ShrewSoft for VPN connections. Since I upgraded to Windows 10 I also
needed a VPN to our management servers. Both vendors have an outdated
installer and apparently not compatible with Windows 10 Technical
Preview 2 (TP2) so I ended up with a connectivity problem.

The Cisco VPN client wouldn’t install, to overcome this issue you have
to set the following reg key, restart your PC and install it again.

PowerShell:       sp 'HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network'
-Name MaxNumFilters -Value 14 -Type DWORD

ShrewSoft VPN client installs, but after it is finished the network
connection is lost. The adapter is still enabled but no packets are sent
or received. This is because of the network client filter Shrew Soft
installed. Somehow, (because of security/DNE corruption reasons?) a
legacy scripted install won’t allow the filter to be correctly installed
on Windows 10. The solution is to uninstall the filter and install the
filter manually like the screenshot below.

[image]

When you still have no network connection after a reboot then run
winfix.exe from Citrix, reboot again and then apply dneupdate64.msi. The
winfix utility cleans up most Windows operating systems to enable
installation of products that use DNE (VPN) and other products like DNE.
The dneupdate installer installs the newest DNE filter which works with
the Shrew Soft filter and solves the issue entirely.

More information can be found on their page
http://www.citrix.com/go/lp/dne.html

---

In my case I was lazy and didn’t try the manual install of the filter,
but run the dneupdate utility directly and my problem was fixed.

Hope this is useful for someone else.

Regards

Carlos