[vpn-help] Win10 RemoteDesktop App cannot connect through ShrewVPN

Larry Moore lmoore at starwon.com.au
Mon Jun 18 19:08:57 CDT 2018

On 18/06/2018 4:00 PM, Yury Kolos wrote:
> Hello Larry,
>
>     Note the source IP of 192.168.71.3 above. I am assuming this is
>     the IP address of your LAN and I suspect is where your problem begins
>

> Yes, you are right. 192.168.71.3 it's LAN IP of my PC. 172.17.19.0/24
> <http://172.17.19.0/24> - it's VPN-subnet.
> I don't understand why traffic not going through VPN subnet when I use
> RemoteDesktop App, but does so in any other application including
> RDP-client.
> Thank you very much for your help. I've understood the problem in
> RemoteDesktopApp.
>

> --
> Best regards, Yury

I don't have Windows-10 hence can't test for myself.

Two thoughts I have to further troubleshoot:

 1. Do you have an HTTP proxy configured on your 192.168.71.0/24 network
    either manually in I.E., via wpad DNS entry or via DHCP?
 2. Set up Shrew Policy with "Policy Generation Level" set to "shared",
    remove the tick from "Obtain Topology Automatically or Tunnel All"
    and add only one subnet "Remote Network Resource" with that subnet
    being 192.168.111.0/24

When you re-establish the VPN tunnel, confirm you can ping the RDS and
also connect using the traditional RDP method before trying the Remote
Desktop App.

Cheers,

Larry.