[vpn-help] Rasbian Stretch - no Connection box/window, no saved connections

Paul Fox moosefox at inebraska.com
Fri Oct 26 15:08:22 CDT 2018

Brand new Raspberry Pi 3, 16GB microSD card, most recent Raspbian
Stretch, dated 10-09-2018, kernel version 4.14.  Installed the shrewsoft
packages (and accompanying dependencies) through command line, as well
as through the Add/ Remove Software management tool (different
attempts).  I have 2 issues:

1) I input the correct settings for my company's Fortigate, and close
the first window.  Open the program from the applications menu, and the
first window opens, but the lower portion of this window has no
connections saved.  I had exported the settings previously, and am able
to import, but they are not saved upon the close/ open cycle.  I found a
thread dated 2015 claiming the same issue, and the answer had been the
problem was in the Linux revision 787, and no fix was mentioned.

2)  Once I have re-imported my settings and click Connect, the second
Connect window does not open.  I see the small hourglass appear next to
my cursor/ mouse, which goes away in maybe 10 or 15 seconds. The only
next step is to close the first box and the cycle continues.

I have used Shrew Soft across multiple Linux machines (mainly
Debian-based), and have had no issues making connections until this
Raspbian attempt.  Thus, I cannot complain that "it don't work", just
not completing now.  I wish to use this only as a client for a single pc
to connect to the company Fortigate, rather than any type of gateway.

I have not tried to use the command line connection methods, nor am I
versed enuf in troubleshooting via command line to know how to start,
tho I do want to learn.  I have not tried any older version of Raspbian,
or of Shrew Soft.  I might have access to the Fortigate to attempt
troubleshooting, but as my multiple other computers make connections
with no issues, I don't know as I would want to make any changes on that
front.

Anyone have some options for me?  Much appreciated all the help in
advance!

Best - Paul