[vpn-help] "initiator port values should only float once per session"

dpremorel dpremorel at finot-conq.com
Wed Jun 5 05:07:54 CDT 2019

Hi !

I'm having an issue with running the VPN client on some of my
machines...

The VPN server is an ISP router with an integrated VPN server that's
apparently only compatible with Shrew (Orange Livebox pro fibre v4, if
that's any help).

I'm trying to access the server from 3 different off-site networks.

The VPN client is v2.2.2 for Windows on all machines.

On network 1 : PC1 running Win7 with ethernet connection to ISP 2 router
: works flawlessly

On network 1 : Laptop1 running Win10 with wifi connection to ISP 2
router : works flawlessly

On network 2 : Laptop1 on wifi to ISP 2 different site/router : works
flawlessly

On network 2 : PC2 running Win7 with ethernet connection to router :
doesn't work !

On network 3 : Laptop2 running Win7 on wifi, same ISP as server,
different site: doesn't work !

The debug logs differences between the machines that work and those
which don't start just before the message "initiator port values should
only float once per session". Apparently, after NAT traversal, IKE
packet is sent on the correct port (4500), but received on the original
port (500).

Since i have one machine with successful connection to the VPN and one
that fails on the same network (2), I assume it has to do with an obsure
(to me) configuration of Windows 7.

Thanks a million in advance for any help.

David