[Vpn-devel] Unix software components renamed ...

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sun Nov 23 16:59:40 CST 2008

All,

Just wanted to send out another quick notice for folks that may be
compiling the head version ( 2.2.x ) from source. The UI components have
been renamed from ikea and ikec to ikea-qt and ikec-qt respectively.
Also note that Shrew Soft libraries are now built as shared objects and
have gained an ss prefix to avoid name space conflicts. For example, the
idb library now has a base name of libss.idb.so and will be loaded by
applications at run time.

These changes were necessary for a few reasons. The UI components were
renamed to avoid conflicts with any new front ends that may be added.
For example, I plan to add a command line version of ikec for use with
systems that don't have xwindows installed. If there is enough demand, I
may also add gtk versions of the UI components which would then be named
ikea-gtk and ikec-gtk respectively. The mass conversion to shared object
library format was required to more easily introduce support for Mac OSX
platforms.