[vpn-help] Updated package and problem reports

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Thu Aug 17 16:49:05 CDT 2006

Peter,

	It looks like we may be chasing several problems. I am trying different
combinations of natt and fragmentation settings and I started with the
simplest config and started adding options. I believe I have ran across
what appears to be a kernel bug in netbsd. The problem revolves around
NATT packets and normal IP fragmentation ( not esp_frag ). For the two
cases I give below, all fragmentation options turned off in the client.

	If I connect to a NetBSD without using NATT, then esp packets that are
larger than the MTU get fragmented in the normal IP fashion. When I
connect using NATT, then the UDP:4500/ESP fragments are missing. I know
I can enable esp_frag in the racoon config file to enable
pre-fragmentation but the man page states ...

The result is ESP over UDP of fragmented packets *instead* of fragmented
ESP over UDP packets (i.e., IP:UDP:ESP:frag(IP) instead of
frag(IP:UDP:ESP:IP))

... But the normal IP fragmentation case of IP:UDP:ESP:IP should work as
well. Its just a nice option to have for DSL users. I have included two
packet dumps. Both are simple web page requests to www.blah.net with the
first dump being with ESP and the second being UDP:4500/ESP. If you
notice, the NATT packets are not being fragmented correctly ( more to
follow is set but none follow ). Here are the commands I used with
tcpdump ...

tcpdump -s 3000 -w frag.cap -e -i pcn1 esp
tcpdump -s 3000 -w frag.cap -e -i pcn1 udp and port 4500

Do you think you could independently verify what I am seeing? If so,
maybe we can convince a NetBSD developer to look into the issue.