[vpn-help] Problem with configuring client settings

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sun Feb 26 16:22:27 CST 2006

Kimmo,

Kimmo Koivisto wrote:
> Matthew Grooms kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika Sunday 26 February 2006
> 10:31):
>> It sounds like there may be some problems with dialog layout. Activity
>> will not be displayed in client log window until the connect button is
>> pressed. Are you not seeing the connect or cancel button at the bottom
>> of the VPN client dialog?
> I attached screenshots from the connection dialog and from the auth-tab.
> There's no connect button anywhere, that explains a lot :)

      I was unable to reproduce the exact problem you encountered but
rewrote the dialog layout code in a way that I hope will resolve your
issue. To test these changes, please uninstall the previous version and
reinstall using this package ...

http://www.shrew.net/download/vpn-client-1.0-beta-2.exe

Feedback and a screen shot of the main 'VPN Access Manager' window would
be greatly appreciated.

>> Also, there should be some output in the log window if the loglevel is
>> set to 3. For example, here is the output before a connection attempt is
>> made ...
> Where the log window shoud be?

      Just in case my previous message was not coherent ( it was 3:00am
after a Saturday night ;), I wanted to clarify. There is an output
window in the client dialog, but it only relays status messages
forwarded from the ipsec daemon. It does not output any debug
information. The only way to obtain the debug output is to open the log
file using a text editor.

      If you try using notepad for this, the output will be illegible as
it expects all lines to be terminated with <CR><NL>. Using wordpad
yields readable results but it will fail to open the file if the daemon
still has the file handle open. This is because wordpad attempts to open
everything using exclusive write access. One way to get around this is
to simply make a copy of the file before opening it.

      I will be including a debug application with the 1.0 release that
will have a log file viewer built in so users wont have to deal with
this sillyness.

Thanks again for trying out the software,