[Vpn-help] missing CXX compiler issue

Mark Voltz mark.voltz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 17:26:39 CDT 2007

Currently I'm experimenting with an Ubuntu box.  I have mostly a default
install with some graphics programs/network utilities/etc..

I noticed that you use "cmake" to build the executables, so I installed that
with apt-get.

I'm guessing I need to install a C++ compiler (and will do just that), but
wanted to make you aware that a default Ubuntu distro may not compile out of
the box.

Here is the output using the recommended cmake flags

mvoltz at blenderbox:~/Desktop/ike$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr
-DQTGUI=YES -DETCDIR=/etc -DNATT=YES
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc -- works
-- Check size of void*
-- Check size of void* - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND
CMake Error: your CXX compiler: "CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not
found.   Please set CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake failed
-- Check for working CXX compiler: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND -- broken
CMake Error: The C++ compiler "CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" is not able to
compile a simple test program.
It fails with the following output:

CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
CMake Error: your CXX compiler: "CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not
found.   Please set CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
-- Configuring done
mvoltz at blenderbox:~/Desktop/ike$