[Vpn-help] VPN client crashes Windows 2000

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Thu Dec 13 17:27:19 CST 2007

shrewvpn at derlien.com wrote:
>> If you can, please run the client with debug level log output. If you
>> capture the situation where this is happening and forward the log
>> output to me, I will do my best to get the issue fixed for the 2.1.0
>> release.
> How do I enable the debug output? Or do you mean the Trace Utility?

Yes, the trace facility. The window doesn't have to be open but the log
output level needs to be set to debug. You will need to restart the ike
service so things restart with the new log settings.

>> Do you know which kernel module causes the crash?
> The crash only happens on Windows 2000 running in a VM. Unfortunately,
> Windows doesn't print the driver causing the crash (please see the
> attached screen shot - it is in german though).

Just so I understand the scope of the problem completely:

A) you tried it on a native XP install and it worked
B) you tried it on a Parallels VM XP install and it worked
C) you have not tried it on a native 2K install
D) you tried it on a Parallels VM 2K install and it crashes

Correct?

> Using 2.1 alpha 3 the crash happens after the second connection attempt:
> 1. Connect to VPN gateway. Access Manager says connection is established
> (last message is "tunnel enabled")
> 2. try to access a computer on the remote network (e.g. ping). does not
> work
> 3. Disconnect, Reconnect
> 4. try again to ping a computer on the remote network. the VM crashes
>
> it seems that the VM doesn't crash if step 2 is left out. I had to
> access the remote network at least once if the VM crashes after the next
> reconnect.
>
> Paralles (www.parallels.com) offers it's virtualization software also
> for Windows (I use the version for Mac OS).
>
> Please let me know if I can do anything to help you solving the problem.

Thanks for the feedback. I will grab a version of parallels and see if I
can reproduce the problem and, with any luck, fix it. Hopefully the same
issue can be reproduced using their windows product line.

Thanks again,