[Vpn-help] Not entering quick mode

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Wed Feb 14 19:03:12 CST 2007

Matt Swift wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
> Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for using the software :)

> Running ipconfig /all when Shrew Soft VPN client is not running only
> shows my one physical interface.

The device is a hidden device so its not visible in ipconfig when disabled.

> After starting up your VPN client and establishing a tunnel ipconfig
> still does not show the Shrew Soft virtual adapter. I have tried this
> on another computer (i have admin privileges on both), and the same
> thing occurred.

Does the device manager show a Shrew Soft driver associated with the
Virtual Adapter? If not, then we have a problem with the driver package
not being installed correctly. Otherwise, we are probably dealing with
an issue that involves two bugs that were both fixed in the 2.0 code
base ...

1) When a device is created, it must be created in an enabled state or
the device registry entries are not initialized. The only way to modify
static adapter settings is to write them to the registry and then enable
the device. When you do this for a device that is already enabled,
problem (2) will occur on some machines. The 2.0 code avoids this by
always disabling an adapter instances after creation so it can be
configured and then re-enabled.

2) After a lot of testing, I realized that it is easy to cause problems
when you enable and disable hardware devices. Multiple enable or
disables for a single device can cause it to get stuck in that state.
The only way I know to resolve the problem is to reboot after the device
instance is stuck in an unusable state. The 2.0 client internally tracks
the device state to avoid this issue.

So, have you tried rebooting the OS and then attempting to re-connect to
your gateway? This may solve the problem. Alternately, you could wait
and try the 2.0 beta which will be available in the next week or so. At
least 80% of the code has been rewritten since 1.x and its a much better
product over all.