[Vpn-help] transfer all settings to a new machine

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sun Nov 4 17:51:01 CST 2007

Harondel J. Sibble wrote:

> Can I
>
> a) copy the entire directory I used to compile the software from my machine
> to hers and assuming she has the necessary gui prerequisites, just run make
> install and have it work
>
> b) install all prerequisites on her machine, do a full compile and install
> and copy the necessary config files over.

Unfortunately, (b) is probably your best option here unless you want to
manually copy over the binary files yourself ( assuming the processor
architectures are compatible and how the compiler optimizations were
configured at build time ). This should get easier in the future as the
package should be included in the next Ubuntu universe repository. As a
stopgap measure, the package submitter Nicolas as graciously offered to
provide me with pre+compiled packages for feisty and gusty once
everything gets sorted out. I will post more information when it is
available.

> Which brings up the next question, on my laptop, I have her credentials
> setup, short of using the export/import feature from the Shrew client, can I
> just copy over the config files holding the tunnel info, restart iked and
> ikea and be golden?
>
> Or is there a better way of doing this?

Just copying over the site file from your .ike/sites and any required
cert files from .ike/certs should do it.