[Vpn-help] compiling shrew vpn client in ubuntu 6.0.6 - detailed instructions

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sun Nov 4 20:49:56 CST 2007

Harondel J. Sibble wrote:
> Having gotten various versions of the 2.x.x client for linux running on
> Ubuntu 6.0.6 LTS with assisstance from Matthew, I thought I'd write up a
> little step by step for anyone doing this.  I had to do it remotely for a
> client today, so got a chance to clean up my notes.

Thanks very much for posting this. Very helpful indeed :)

> 1) apt-get remove racoon (assuming you have it installed already)

Was racoon preventing iked from running? The only reason I ask is that
setkey is bundled with ipsec-tools which can be very helpful even when
you don't plan to use racoon as your primary ike daemon.

> Matthew, is the init script going to be part of the next release and will it
> be automatically installed?

I can certainly bundle it with the distribution but will have to toy
with CMake to see if it can reliably detect a sysv init environment
before adding it to the install routine.