[Vpn-help] Howto connect to Openswan ??

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Mon Nov 19 22:09:10 CST 2007

Thomas Rudolph wrote:
> Hello,
>
> first of all, thanks alot for the effort to create a free VPN client for
> windows :-)
>
> My problem: I'm not able to connect to Openswan. IKE seems to succeed
> (SA established),
> but when I try to ping the other side (from V.2.0.2) it seems that the
> VPN client tries to do a new IKE (Phase2?),
> this time with it's own (private) IP. I think I saw somewhere in this
> list that this problem is a difference in
> the behaviour of ShrewSoft VPN client and Openswan, but how can it be
> solved?
> How can I establish a connection to Openswan, is there a simple example
> configuration?
>
> Thomas

Thomas,

Can you provide the debug output for IKE negotiations? This can be had
from the VPN Trace application. First select options from the file menu
and set the log output level to debug. Afterwards, restart the IKE
service and attempt to connect. You can then copy and paste the output
using ctrl-c / ctrl-v into a wordpad document. Be sure to sanitize your
gateway address in the output by searching and replacing with something
like x.x.x.x before posting to the list.