[Vpn-help] DNS Fix perhaps

Brian Jones brian at boku.net
Thu Oct 25 21:57:27 CDT 2007

Ok with the latest client 2.0.2, it didn't work.  I unchecked the use WINS
box and still it was not resolving to internal addresses.  I tried several
reboots, flushing DNS etc.  Disconnecting and reconnecting seemed to provide
different results.  Sometimes I could ping the DNS server by name, other
times I could not.  Nothing else would resolve.  This confirmed to me it was
a DNS caching issue and I had read an article last night about DNS caching
and negative cache but did not have any time to test.

My search tonight pulled up a nice Microsoft article that discusses the DNS
cache.  The command 'net stop dnscache' caused the DNS to start responding
perfectly.

I brought up the VPN connection, verified I could not ping any internal
systems by name.  I issued the 'net stop dnscache' and everything that would
not ping by name worked.  Issuing 'net start dnscache' while the connection
was still up seemed to have no effect and pinging worked normal still.

I've tested this three times in a row now with the same results.

The article from MS is here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318803

--
Brian