[Vpn-help] DNS Fix perhaps

mgrooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Fri Oct 26 13:02:36 CDT 2007

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 21:57:27 -0500, Brian Jones <brian at boku.net> wrote:
> Ok with the latest client 2.0.2, it didn't work.  I unchecked the use
WINS
> box and still it was not resolving to internal addresses.  I tried
several
> reboots, flushing DNS etc.  Disconnecting and reconnecting seemed to
> provide
> different results.  Sometimes I could ping the DNS server by name, other
> times I could not.  Nothing else would resolve.  This confirmed to me it
> was
> a DNS caching issue and I had read an article last night about DNS
caching
> and negative cache but did not have any time to test.
>
> My search tonight pulled up a nice Microsoft article that discusses the
> DNS
> cache.  The command 'net stop dnscache' caused the DNS to start
responding
> perfectly.
>
> I brought up the VPN connection, verified I could not ping any internal
> systems by name.  I issued the 'net stop dnscache' and everything that
> would
> not ping by name worked.  Issuing 'net start dnscache' while the
> connection
> was still up seemed to have no effect and pinging worked normal still.
>
> I've tested this three times in a row now with the same results.
>
> The article from MS is here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318803

Brian,

Very impressive piece of investigative work!!! This gives me a wealth of
ammunition with respect to getting this problem resolved. I will invest
some time in researching this over the weekend which will hopefully yield
something useful for you and Peter as soon as time permits :)

Thanks again,