[Vpn-help] iked start script, Feisty 32 bit

charles morrison charlie2 at ledgible.com
Sun Sep 2 21:45:24 CDT 2007

Matthew Grooms wrote:

>> I agree that init.d is the right thing to do. I may be doing
>> something wrong in iked that makes it incompatible somehow. I just
>> need to find some good documentation on the system. I tried to man
>> init.d and didn't see anything. There were also no useful references
>> in the init man page :(
>>

> Alright, here is the procedure I followed; I created an iked init.d
> script ( attached ) and then ran the 'Sytem Settings/Advacned/System
> Services' application. I then located iked entry and checked the box
> that enables the system service at startup. After rebooting, I
> verified that the iked service had started correctly, which it did.
> Next, created a new directory /usr/share/icons/shrewsoft and copied
> the ike/source/ikea/png/ikea/png file into this directory. Last, I
> created a new desktop "Link To Application" ( also attached ) which
> can be used to launch the VPN Access Manager.
>
> Seems to work fine.
>
> -Matthew
>
> #! /bin/sh
> set -e
>
> # /etc/init.d/iked: start and stop the Shrew Soft IKE daemon
>
> test -x /usr/sbin/iked || exit 0
>
> . /lib/lsb/init-functions
>
> export PATH="${PATH:+$PATH:}/usr/sbin:/sbin"
>
> case "$1" in
>   start)
> 	log_begin_msg "Starting Shrew Soft IKE daemon..."
> 	start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/sbin/iked || log_end_msg 1
> 	log_end_msg 0
> 	;;
>   stop)
> 	log_begin_msg "Stopping Shrew Soft IKE daemon..."
> 	start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --oknodo --exec /usr/sbin/iked || log_end_msg 1
> 	log_end_msg 0
> 	;;
>
>   restart)
> 	log_begin_msg "Restarting Shrew Soft IKE daemon..."
> 	start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --oknodo --retry 30 --exec /usr/sbin/iked || log_end_msg 1
> 	start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile --exec /usr/sbin/iked || log_end_msg 1
> 	log_end_msg 0
> 	;;
>
>   *)
> 	log_success_msg "Usage: /etc/init.d/iked {start|stop|restart}"
> 	exit 1
> esac
>
> exit 0

> [Desktop Entry]
> Comment=Application to manage remote site configurations
> Comment[en_CA]=Application to manage remote site configurations
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Exec=/usr/bin/ikea
> GenericName=Shrew Soft VPN Access Manager
> GenericName[en_CA]=Shrew Soft VPN Access Manager
> Icon=/usr/share/icons/shrewsoft/ikea.png
> MimeType=
> Name=Shrew Soft VPN Access Manager
> Name[en_CA]=Shrew Soft VPN Access Manager
> Path=
> StartupNotify=true
> Terminal=false
> TerminalOptions=
> [...]
Matt,

Thanks, I have it working and it looks great!!

I don't know if I needed to do it or not, but when I put your script in
/etc/init.d directory, I changed the permissions with:

sudo chmod 755 ./ike

This set them to the same as all the others in the directory.

The icon is a nice touch.

Thanks again.

Charlie Morrison

--