[Vpn-help] Feisty 32 bit network browsing

Matthew Linehan mlinehan at ledgible.com
Tue Sep 4 16:51:16 CDT 2007

Charlie: Your screen shot attachment did not come through on this
e-mail.  Also, The vpn-help list server may reject attachments...

Matt: What Charlie is trying to say, is that he can't browse SAMBA
shares. i.e. get directory listings from our main Windows file server.
Stuff like smb://servername/sharename does not resolve

I think the problem is even deeper though.  The VPN tunnel comes up, but
we cannot ping any of the machines on the company side of the tunnel. I
took a quick peek at the setup, and it appears to be a routing issue to
me.  For whatever reason, shrew soft is not getting the "remote network
topology" from our Adtran gateway router, this was true with the
released windows version as well.  So my ShrewSoft install directions
instruct our employees to manually:

=========== (quote from the Windows setup directions)===========
Un-Check the *Obtain the remote network topology and route policy
automatically from the peer gateway* check box, and then click the *Add*
button, and then enter a static route to the ALI network by setting
*Entry Type* to *Network*, *Net Address* to *192.168.168.0*, *Net Mask*
to *255.255.255.0*, and then press *OK*. The final "VPN Routing Policy"
is shown below. Click *Save* to save this VPN configuration.

===========(end quote)===========

Our internal network uses addresses in the 192.168.168.* range.  The
Adtran gateway router allocates addresses in the 192.168.167.*  range to
VPN clients.

As far as I can tell, Charlie has ShrewSoft setup correctly, with the
required manual network topology as directed in my directions.  We can
successfully start the VPN tunnel, but nothing on the company side is
accessible.  Pings to known good equipment in the 192.168.168.* range
time out.

We used the linux route command, to dump the routing table.  I'm no
expert in linux IP routing, but it does not look right to me.  There
were no entries in the routing table that would direct packets destined
for the 192.168.168.* network to the 192.168.167.1 TAP0 interface
created by the VPN tunnel.  Indeed there were NO lines in the routing
table that referenced the 192.168.168.* network at all.  I'm fairly
certain that the incorrect routing table is the source of the problem,
however I do not know how iked and the ip routing stuff interact with
each other, so I could be wrong.

Matt