[Vpn-help] Bluescreen with 2.1.0-rc2

Joerg de la Haye haye at lab-quade.de
Tue Jun 17 14:53:09 CDT 2008

Hi list,

with 2.1.0-rc2 I get a bluescreen under certain reproduceable
circumstances. The error message is "IRQL_not_less_or_Equal" in
conjuction with ndis.sys, and I guess it has to do with the ndis-changes
from rc2, as it didn't occur with earlier versions.

You can get the bluescreen if you access a CIFS/SMB share at some server
by typing \\<servername or -IP>\<share> and start to browse some files.
The bluescreen doesn't appear immediately, it appears 2-3 seconds after
accessing the share and browsing files. Disabling the Shrew Soft
Lightweight Filter let the bug disappear and you don't get the
bluescreen, so the Lightweight Filter is very likely the cause of the
bluescreen. At least it has to deal with it ;-). This happens without
starting the VPN client itself at all, I haven't tested yet if it
appears when you access the share via an client-established
IPsec-connection. If you use other protocols like ssh, imap or smtp e.g.
with enabled Lightweight Filter for that connection everything is fine.

My OS is Vista Business x64 SP1, and my network card is an onboard Intel
  82566MM. The driver version of the NIC is 9.7.255.0, but I tested
older and newer versions with the bluescreen appearing also. May I help
with certain logs, dumps and tests? I haven't followed the usually
desired bug reporting procedure as it happens without starting the VPN
client itself at all.

Regards,
Joerg