[Vpn-help] Bluescreen with 2.1.0-rc2

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Tue Jun 17 16:32:14 CDT 2008

Matthew Grooms wrote:
> Joerg de la Haye wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> with 2.1.0-rc2 I get a bluescreen under certain reproduceable
>> circumstances. The error message is "IRQL_not_less_or_Equal" in
>> conjuction with ndis.sys, and I guess it has to do with the ndis-changes
>> from rc2, as it didn't occur with earlier versions.

It didn't occur in RC1? Can you verify this please? The primary change
between RC1 and RC2 was the introduction of an NDIS 6 Miniport driver.
Do you happen to have any other software installed on the machine that
may have installed a LWF driver ( VPN Client etc )? You would likely see
them listed as services along side the Shrew Soft LWF driver.

>> You can get the bluescreen if you access a CIFS/SMB share at some server
>> by typing \\<servername or -IP>\<share> and start to browse some files.
>> The bluescreen doesn't appear immediately, it appears 2-3 seconds after
>> accessing the share and browsing files. Disabling the Shrew Soft
>> Lightweight Filter let the bug disappear and you don't get the
>> bluescreen, so the Lightweight Filter is very likely the cause of the
>> bluescreen. At least it has to deal with it ;-). This happens without
>> starting the VPN client itself at all, I haven't tested yet if it
>> appears when you access the share via an client-established
>> IPsec-connection. If you use other protocols like ssh, imap or smtp e.g.
>> with enabled Lightweight Filter for that connection everything is fine.

I ran some tests in my vmware session but couldn't reproduce the issue.
Browsing network shares worked fine even while connected ( see attached
image ).

>> My OS is Vista Business x64 SP1, and my network card is an onboard Intel
>>   82566MM. The driver version of the NIC is 9.7.255.0, but I tested
>> older and newer versions with the bluescreen appearing also. May I help
>> with certain logs, dumps and tests? I haven't followed the usually
>> desired bug reporting procedure as it happens without starting the VPN
>> client itself at all.

Well, its either a bug in the Shrew Soft LWF driver or a bug in the
Intel driver. Hearing back from others on the list that use the client
with other network cards would be helpful. I will run some more tests
and see what I can come up with.