[Vpn-help] Bluescreen with 2.1.0-rc2

Joerg de la Haye haye at lab-quade.de
Mon Jun 23 09:54:12 CDT 2008

Hi Matthew,

sorry for answering so late, I was out of office the last days.
Of course I'll do further tests and I would try debugging builds, I'm
very much interested in a stable client... and I'm not the only one with
this problem, obviously.
@Matthew Carle: Could you give us further details about your system?
What's the brand of your NIC? What's the version number of the NIC's driver?

Matthew Grooms wrote:
> It didn't occur in RC1? Can you verify this please? The primary change
> between RC1 and RC2 was the introduction of an NDIS 6 Miniport driver.
> Do you happen to have any other software installed on the machine that
> may have installed a LWF driver ( VPN Client etc )? You would likely see
> them listed as services along side the Shrew Soft LWF driver.

At first I thought it didn't occur with RC1, but I reinstalled RC1 and
it happened again (and also reproducable). The other VPN client I use is
for OpenVPN, but the OpenVPN client doesn't use a LWF driver. For my LAN
connection the following items are installed:
- Client for Microsoft Networks
- Shrew Soft Lightweight Filter
   (at the moment disabled for daily use ;-)  )
- QoS paket planner
- File- and Print Services for Microsoft Networks
- IPv4
- IPv6
- I/O driver for topology detection
- reply (?) for topology detection

> I ran some tests in my vmware session but couldn't reproduce the issue.
> Browsing network shares worked fine even while connected ( see attached
> image ).

I was wrong with my first post of the problem. The bug isn't related to
SMB/CIFS only, I got blue screens without using these protocols also,
but then very randomly. But SMB/CIFS-browsing is very good to get a
quick "result", the blue screen appears immediately.

I did two tests to narrow it down:
- disable one CPU through BIOS options to see if it is SMP-related
- slow down network speed to 100 MBit/s Full Duplex
The blue screen appeared as always, so it hasn't got anything to do with
these two things.

I guess the occurence of the blue screen is related to the amount of
network data. At next I'll try a bigger file transfer via FTP.

Joerg