[Vpn-help] Windows Shares - second try

scott 8f27e956 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 16:18:36 CST 2008

I'm going from memory and a once-upon-a-time tangle with this same issue
using the cisco vpn client.  It had something to with the way the WINS
and local/master browsers behave.

As I recall, the LAN subnet you're trying to WINS browse on needs to
reverse arp the asking node's IP.  This works flawlessly when you're on
the local subnet.  If you sniff this with, say, wireshark you should see
the "who's got" message.

The answer was to statically arp the vpn client's ip to the WINS
subnet's lladdr, which is the de facto "gateway" path back to the asking
WINS client.

It was something like ... ???

arp -Fs <your_vpn_ip> aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff:00 pub

where aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff:00 is the lladdr (mac) of the gateway/subnet
NIC.

Again, I'm going from a long-a-go-and-far-away recollection so the
details may be off, but the tactic is, i think, correct.

/S