[Vpn-help] Windows Shares - second try

Brian Jones brian at boku.net
Thu Mar 6 13:06:31 CST 2008

On 3/6/08 12:12 PM, "Markus Stockhausen" <markus.stockhausen at collogia.de>
wrote:

>> Markus Stockhausen wrote:
>> According to the replies to my last post I tried
>> out
>> some ways to get Windows networks shares up and
>> running through an
>> VPN tunnel. Sadyl I have to report
>> that both of the following solutions
>> did not solve
>> my problem:

>>> In my opinion this can be only a minor problem. As I
>> told in my last post
>>> the same setup with the Windows
>> L2TP-IPSEC Connection works out of the
>>> box.
>>

>Markus,
>
>Alright, so everything works except for communicating with the
>> SMB file
>> server. Can you ping the file server? Is the file on the same subnet as
>> other hosts you can communicate with? Are there other services running
>> on file server that you may be able to test the connection with ( ftp,
>> telnet, etc )? Is the file server multi-homed?
>
>Thanks,
>
>-Matthew

We are
>> getting closer to my problem. Our companys internal network
>> is
192.168.10.0/24 and Dialup clients are assigned IP addresses
>> 10.150.1.0/24.
All internal servers are assigned the same gateway IP and
>> therefore should
route all incoming traffic back the right way. I can work
>> with any server
> and any service that is running on them via VPN. These include HTTP, RDP,
> TELNET & SSH. No problems here.

The next thing I tested today was do browse
> network shares that are not
provided by our domain controller. These are the
> results:

\\<hostname>\d$ does not work -> Server cannot be
> found
\\<hostname>.collogia.de\d$ does not work -> Server cannot be
> found
\\<host-ip\d$ works perfectly

That means I can access network shares and services of any server that is
> not our domain controller. So far I'm more than happy. It would be nice of
> course if I can use hostnames instead of ip addresses. Sadly everything
goes
> wrong as soon as I try to connect to any service provided by our
Domain
> controller. This includes

- Connecting to the domain controller with RDP
> - Connection to the domain controller with HTTP (3ware controller web
> access)
- Connection to the domain controller with Browsing
> shares

Nevertheless I was successful with a ping to our domain controller.
> Why
should this machine

Did you try from a command line "net stop dnscache" and then try to connect
\\servername\share and see if that works?

Do not start the dnscache until you try connect to your share.

-
Brian