[Vpn-help] Windows Shares - second try

Markus Stockhausen markus.stockhausen at collogia.de
Thu Mar 6 12:12:22 CST 2008

>Markus Stockhausen wrote:
>> According to the replies to my last post I tried out
>> some ways to get Windows networks shares up and
>> running through an VPN tunnel. Sadyl I have to report
>> that both of the following solutions did not solve
>> my problem:

>> In my opinion this can be only a minor problem. As I
>> told in my last post the same setup with the Windows
>> L2TP-IPSEC Connection works out of the box.
>>

>Markus,
>
>Alright, so everything works except for communicating with the SMB file
>server. Can you ping the file server? Is the file on the same subnet as
>other hosts you can communicate with? Are there other services running
>on file server that you may be able to test the connection with ( ftp,
>telnet, etc )? Is the file server multi-homed?
>
>Thanks,
>
>-Matthew

We are getting closer to my problem. Our companys internal network is
192.168.10.0/24 and Dialup clients are assigned IP addresses 10.150.1.0/24.
All internal servers are assigned the same gateway IP and therefore should
route all incoming traffic back the right way. I can work with any server
and any service that is running on them via VPN. These include HTTP, RDP,
TELNET & SSH. No problems here.

The next thing I tested today was do browse network shares that are not
provided by our domain controller. These are the results:

\\<hostname>\d$ does not work -> Server cannot be found
\\<hostname>.collogia.de\d$ does not work -> Server cannot be found
\\<host-ip\d$ works perfectly

That means I can access network shares and services of any server that is
not our domain controller. So far I'm more than happy. It would be nice of
course if I can use hostnames instead of ip addresses. Sadly everything
goes wrong as soon as I try to connect to any service provided by our
Domain controller. This includes

- Connecting to the domain controller with RDP
- Connection to the domain controller with HTTP (3ware controller web access)
- Connection to the domain controller with Browsing shares

Nevertheless I was successful with a ping to our domain controller. Why
should this machine behave another way than all of our normal servers.

Any idea for further tests?

Best regards.

Markus

Über das Internet versandte E-Mails können unter fremden Namen erstellt oder
manipuliert werden. Deshalb ist diese als E-Mail verschickte Nachricht keine
rechtsverbindliche Willenserklärung.

Collogia
Unternehmensberatung AG
Ubierring 11
D-50678 Köln

Vorstand:
Kadir Akin
Prof. Gerd M. Henselmann
Dr. Michael Höhnerbach

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates:
Hans Kristian Langva

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Köln
Registernummer: HRB 52 497

e-mail is strictly forbidden.

e-mails sent over the internet may have been written under a wrong name or
been manipulated. That is why this message sent as an e-mail is not a
legally binding declaration of intention.

Collogia
Unternehmensberatung AG
Ubierring 11
D-50678 Köln