[Vpn-help] Development Update ...

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sun May 4 13:10:24 CDT 2008

All,

Its been a while since I have posted to the list so I just wanted to
send out a quick development update. There are a few things items that
need to be improved for the 2.1.0 release to be a success. At the moment
I am working on improving the IPC mechanisms used to communicate between
the various programs that make up the VPN client. This should remove any
latency that is present during SPD and client UI operations. Afterwards,
I will focusing my attention fully on correcting the DNS issue that has
been reported repeatedly by several users. This appears to be the single
biggest hurdle to overcome before the software can be released. I have a
few ideas on how to correct this but the potential fixes are not trivial
and may even require kernel driver modifications. I will be posting some
test builds to the list to get feedback from users that are seeing this
issue. With their help, hopefully we can get this issue fully resolved.

There have also been reports that the 2.1.0 beta 2 release has exhibited
problems during installation which will need to be addressed. This may
be related to installing the client along side other vendors VPN client
software. If anyone has detailed information related to these problems,
please let me know.

Lastly, the checkpoint and sidewinder platform support will need to be
improved and the documentation needs to be updated. I would also like to
add a wiki and bug tracking tool to the support section of the website.
These utilities are long overdue and should surface around the same time
as the 2.1.0 release.