[Vpn-help] cannot connect to a fortigate with shrew vpn client on windows

Noach Sumner nsumner at compu-skill.com
Thu Nov 20 14:37:27 CST 2008

Okay, I went to dbl check my config I have the following...

>From WAN (all) to WAN (all) (IE WAN2 to WAN2) DHCP set to Encrypt. Make sure
of course you have a IPSec DHCP server setup on the Fortigate
>From Internal to WAN I have Internal ALL to WAN ("vpn addresses") Encrypt
(allow inbound and outbound of course).

vpn addresses is for me defined as 172.27.129.0/24. Basically whatever
addresses your IPSec DHCP server will be assigning. Note there is no reason
(in fact it shouldn't) be the same IP block used on your local network.

Here are some of the important parts to set on the Fortigate
Mode: Agressive (Main won't work).
X-Auth has worked in some versions and not others so be careful with this
one.

Make sure of course that you have your Shrew config set to match your
Fortigate (it is easy to make small mistakes here).

BTW: Matthew, I have noticed that the latest 2.2alpha you sent me ALWAYS has
the multiple IP issue (3 ips). I don't know for sure if it is related but it
might be a better place to start as for me that isn't intermittent. Again I
am running Vista (which I am guessing is the root of the problem).

I am running MR7P1 and it works pretty well with Shrew. MR7P2 is due out any
day now but I of course can't guarantee how well it will work with Shrew.