[Vpn-help] 2.1.1 Problems on Vista

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Tue Sep 2 13:21:22 CDT 2008

NYLAN at gmx.net wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm having problems with Windows vista and the shrew client 2.1.1.
>
> Using my mobile phone(umts/3G) as modem I'm unable to establish a connection.
> Connection status windows shows :bringing up tunnel and timeout
> There is no incoming udp traffic on pfsense side.
>
> With the onboard nic and an other public ip tunnel works flawless.
> I've tested the mobile phone shrew 2.1.1 combo with a Windows XP. Works perfectly!
>
> Help appreciated!

Nylan,

Unfortunately, I believe this problem will fall into the same category
as Dialup issues on Vista. It probably shows up as a PPP adapter and not
an Ethernet device. I just don't have this type of service available for
testing the problem but hopefully will in the near future. The Dial-up
support on XP/2K was rather involved but this may prove to be simpler to
support on Vista. I will update the documentation to make this issue
more clear for other users.

Sorry for the trouble,