[Vpn-help] iked dies upon name resolution failure

David Santinoli david at santinoli.com
Fri Apr 3 10:56:13 CDT 2009

Hi Matthew,
  I think I found a severe bug in the Windows client: if the configured
remote host cannot be resolved, iked.exe crashes and has to be manually
restarted.

To reproduce the bug:

- take a working configuration and alter the "Host Name or IP Address"
  in order to make it unresolvable (or mess up the host DNS
  configuration to achieve the same effect).

- Double-click on the connection icon.  The message "config error :
  cannot resolve address for host ..." will be displayed.  Besides, an
  unnecessary (for the configured connection) "Credentials" frame, with
  username and password boxes, will appear, too.

- Click on "Connect".  Wait few seconds.  Boom!

I tested this with 2.1.4 on Windows XP Home.

Thanks,
 David
--
 David Santinoli                    +   <santinoli at fastpath.it>