[Vpn-help] Couple questions

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sun Aug 16 09:20:27 CDT 2009

Chris Yates wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just started using this VPN client.  I have two main issues.
>
> 1) I am unable to access a couple networks which work fine when using
> the cisco VPN client.  These are two class B networks which routes are
> setup on my cisco ISR.  I checked that both the cisco vpn client and
> shrew are creating the static routes when connecting to the VPN.
> However, I can't ping anything in those networks while using shrew.  The
> main difference is that I'm using cisco vpn client on a 32 bit windows
> xp install and shrew on a 64 bit windows 7 install.  Any ideas why this
> might be happening?

Not sure about this one. Do you have an overlap on your local subnet and
the remote subnet you are trying to access?

> 2) Is there a way to save my password and have shrew automatically
> connect on bootup?  I am always connected to this VPN when the computer
> is on.

Yes and no. You can't have the client login before you login to the
computer to perform a remote domain login. But you can have it start up
automatically when the user logs in. The ipsecc.exe program accepts the
following parameters ...

ipsecc -r "name" [-u <name>][-p <pass>][-a]
   -r site configuration name
   -u connection user name
   -p connection user password
   -a auto connect