[Vpn-help] Random connection loss but Shrew stays connected.

Phill Devey Philld at don-nan.net
Tue Dec 8 07:33:47 CST 2009

Hi Group.

I have successfully been able to connect the screw client to both a
Netgear FVS318v3 and an FVS336G using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.  I
have since dropped the FVS318 because it could not hold more than 8 VPN
connections so we upgraded to the FVS336G.

I have a weird problem though.  I appear to be randomly dropping the
connection as follows:

When the VPN client is connected, remote desktop is used to connect to a
work desktop.

After connecting, remote desktop will either disconnect within
approximately:

3 - 5 minutes,

45 minutes

not drop at all.

The remote desktop session disconnects but shrew still states it IS
connected.  When I try to ping any network device (including the router
I am connected to), I get no response (ping is turned on)

I am lost.  I have never seen a problem as random as this.  I have tried
changing all kinds of settings on both the VPN router and the shrew
client.  Nothing seems to give me a reliable connection.  The router
does also have 8 gateway to gateway IPSEC VPN's that are constantly
active however, the router should be able to host 25 simultaneous IPSEC
VPN connections.

Anyone got any ideas?

I also see there is a new version available and I will install and test
but has anyone else had/solved this problem.

Phill Devey

Information Systems & Services Manager

Don-Nan Pump & Supply

3427 E. Hwy 158.  Midland, TX