[vpn-help] VPN on Win7

Ad van den Broek advandenbroek.nl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 16:18:23 CST 2009

At my work a VPN facility is available.
It is based on a Cisco PIX 501 gateway (probably version 5).

I used a notebook with Win-XP and created a VPN connection.
The setup was quite easily and it worked fine.

Recently I replaced the Win-XP notebook
with a Win7 notebook.

The VPN connection I created on the Win7 machine is not working.

On internet I red that the VPN-client of Win7 requires a IKE2 key
and that my gateway probably is not supporting this.
Perhaps this is correct so I have to find an alternative.

People suggested me to install the Shrew VPN client on Win7.

I installed it but it is not working either.
Probably the reason it is not working is the fact that
I am not familiar with authentication or encryption
and so I basically have no idea what to setup.

Some people suggested to import a pcf-configuration-file of the gateway.
But I have no idea where to find or how to export/create a pcf-file.

Can somebody guide me in the right direction ?

--

With best regards,
Ad van den Broek