[Vpn-help] FW: Connection before domain login

Evan Kinney Evan.Kinney at sas.com
Fri Dec 11 00:09:27 CST 2009

This is actually a whole lot more complicated than it sounds.

What you're referring to used to be called GINA, and was pretty easy to implement due to XP's extremely lax security model. The Cisco client is using GINA to provide that dialog before login. Microsoft essentially removed GINA support in Vista when they redesigned winlogon, but introduced a new model that uses new components, referred to as Credential Providers. Windows 7 also added the Windows Biometric Framework, which, in the future, will be extensible to devices other than biometric ones.

So, short answer: as far as I know, Matthew hasn't done anything with CPs in Access Manager. You won't be able to do what you're asking until this changes.

---
Evan M. Kinney
Systems Administrator, Research and Development
SAS Institute Inc.