[vpn-help] Win7 x64 Installation Issues

Kevin Queen kevin.queen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 09:37:00 CST 2009

I am installing Shrew 2.1.5 (vpn-client-2.1.5-release.exe) and having an
issue with the VFILT installation, I think.

I have read in the archive where pfilt is sometimes installed instead of
vfilt and I think this is what I am running in to, here is a snip of the
install log for reference...

Output folder: C:\Program Files\ShrewSoft\VPN Client\drivers
Installing 64bit NDIS 5 Drivers ...
Extract: vfilter.cat
Extract: pfilter.inf
Extract: mfilter.inf
Extract: vfilter.sys
Extract: virtualnet.cat
Extract: virtualnet.inf
Extract: virtualnet.sys
Execute: C:\Program Files\ShrewSoft\VPN Client\drvcfg.exe -pre C:\Program
Files\ShrewSoft\VPN Client\drivers\mfilter.inf
Execute: C:\Program Files\ShrewSoft\VPN Client\netcfg.exe -add service pflt
C:\Program Files\ShrewSoft\VPN Client\drivers\pfilter.inf
Execute: C:\Program Files\ShrewSoft\VPN Client\drvcfg.exe -pre C:\Program
Files\ShrewSoft\VPN Client\drivers\virtualnet.inf
Execute: C:\Program Files\ShrewSoft\VPN Client\devcfg.exe -add net vnet
C:\Program Files\ShrewSoft\VPN Client\drivers\virtualnet.inf

I am wondering how to manually install 64bit NDIS6 or force the installer to
do so for me.

The other thing I noticed is that in my \drivers\ directory I have the
following:

mfilter.inf
pfilter.inf
vfilter.cat
vfilter.sys
virtualnet.cat
virtualnet.inf
virtualnet.sys

I do not have a vfilt.inf (If I did I would try manually running the netcfg
command to add vfilt and remove pfilt)

I also enabled debug output in the trace utility and see unable to open
vfilt driver errors constantly.

If anyone can give me a hand it would be great as this is the last obstacle
I have to fully converting to an x64 architecture.

--Kevin Queen

“A dog is not reckoned good because he barks well, and a man is not reckoned
wise because he speaks skillfully.”
    --Taoist Proverb

"When all in the world understand beauty to be beautiful, then ugliness
exists; when all understand goodness to be good, then evil exists."
--Lao Tzu

"When a dream dies, you might as well take whatever money you can find in
its pockets."
--Anonymous