[Vpn-help] connection failing at: tunnel enabled, gateway not responding

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Thu Jan 15 23:29:11 CST 2009

Sean Van Buggenum wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Firstly, sorry if i shouldn't be posting  to this list, or in this
> manner. I am a first timer.
>
> My problem is this: I try to connect a vpn connection using:
>
> shrew soft ike client, version 2.0.3, built for Linux.
> OS: Ubuntu Linux 8.04 (Hardy)
> This client (and daemon process) was installed via the ubuntu
> repositories for this version of Ubuntu, using apt.
>
> The result I get is this:

> Anyone got any ideas?

Sean,

What type of gateway are you connecting to? Have you tried setting the
log output of the IKE daemon to debug and examined the output? See this
link for more details ...

http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/BugReportVpnUnix

Typically a 'gateway not responding' error is due to a configuration
issue. Are you using main or aggressive mode?