[Vpn-help] connection failing at: tunnel enabled, gateway not responding

Sean Van Buggenum svaens at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 07:24:34 CST 2009

Hi all,

Firstly, sorry if i shouldn't be posting  to this list, or in this manner. I
am a first timer.

My problem is this: I try to connect a vpn connection using:

shrew soft ike client, version 2.0.3, built for Linux.
OS: Ubuntu Linux 8.04 (Hardy)
This client (and daemon process) was installed via the ubuntu repositories
for this version of Ubuntu, using apt.

The result I get is this:

config loaded for site 'sean at astraia.com.new.vpn'
attached to key daemon ...
peer configured
iskamp proposal configured
esp proposal configured
ipcomp proposal configured
client configured
local id configured
remote id configured
pre-shared key configured
bringing up tunnel ...
virtual network device configured
virtual network device enabled
tunnel enabled
gateway not responding
tunnel disabled
detached from key daemon ...

I know that the key that I am using is correct
(i.e., the key used in    Authentication->Credentials->Pre-shared key)
because when I use a wrong key I get a 'peer authentication error'.
I also made sure that the ip address range that my home intranet is within
(192.168.2.1) is not the same as the work intranet (which is 192.168.1.1).
So that shouldn't be the problem.

I am however only using the default daemon configuration file.
Is there something else I should setup (do) before i can expect this to work
on linux?
The strange thing is that around march or so last year, I had it working. I
had been using Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) and installed shrew soft from the Hardy
repositories, and it 'just worked'.  I didn't need to do anything. It simply
worked.
Since i've installed Hardy fresh.... it doesn't work.
I see this on the two computers that I've installed Ubuntu Hardy on.

Anyone got any ideas?

Kind Regards,

Sean van Buggenum