[Vpn-help] pcf and certificate imported, but gateway authentication error [2.1.5 rc1]

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Thu Jul 9 11:06:52 CDT 2009

Daniel Sabanes Bove wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to connect to a university VPN using the ShrewSoft VPN
> client 2.1.5 rc1.
>
> After importing the pcf configuration file [find it attached, but the
> group password has been deleted] originally made for the Cisco VPN
> client, and also pointing to the correct root certificate, I was not
> able to get a connection. I always got a "gateway authentication
> error". I also tried several modifications of the imported VPN
> profile, without success - it got even worse with negotiation time
> outs etc.
>
> Exactly the same procedure with Cisco VPN client 5.0.0.3 succeeded, on
> the same Windows XP 32bit, on the same physical computer.
>
> What am I doing wrong? I also attach a log file where a correct Cisco
> VPN connection is logged. How can I log the ShrewSoft VPN client?

Hi Daniel,

Have you used the VPN Trace utility to enable debug level logging in the
client? This should allow you to see why the gateway authentication is
being rejected. Please see the following link for more details ...

http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/BugReportVpnWindows

Feel free to forward logs to me if you are having difficulty deciphering
the output. My guess is that the certificate authentication is failing
for some reason. Is it possible that the gateway certificate was signed
using an intermediary certificate?