[Vpn-help] Adapter Configuration Failed

Phil Freeman philicf at standardrestaurant.com
Wed Jun 10 18:09:58 CDT 2009

We have been using Cisco VPN Client extensively throughout our network of
Windows machines to connect to a corporate mainframe.  We have some users
moving over to 64-bit Vista, so we needed to find an IPSec solution.

Shrew is it.  I've been successful in getting it to work on several
machines, but on several other machines, I'm getting an error when trying to
connect:

configuring client settings ...

attached to key daemon ...

peer configured

iskamp proposal configured

esp proposal configured

client configured

local id configured

pre-shared key configured

bringing up tunnel ...

adapter configuration failed

tunnel disabled

detached from key daemon ...

I'm quite certain this has to do with the virtual adapter not being
installed properly on installation.  I've had success in some cases of just
installing shrew again, on top of an original installation, and getting it
to work.  In some cases I have not.

Regards,

Phil