[Vpn-help] Adapter Configuration Failed

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Tue Jun 16 20:18:07 CDT 2009

Phil Freeman wrote:
> We have been using Cisco VPN Client extensively throughout our network
> of Windows machines to connect to a corporate mainframe.  We have some
> users moving over to 64-bit Vista, so we needed to find an IPSec solution.
>
> Shrew is it.  I’ve been successful in getting it to work on several
> machines, but on several other machines, I’m getting an error when
> trying to connect:
>
> configuring client settings ...
> attached to key daemon ...
> peer configured
> iskamp proposal configured
> esp proposal configured
> client configured
> local id configured
> pre-shared key configured
> bringing up tunnel ...
> adapter configuration failed
> tunnel disabled
> detached from key daemon ...
>
> I’m quite certain this has to do with the virtual adapter not being
> installed properly on installation.  I’ve had success in some cases of
> just installing shrew again, on top of an original installation, and
> getting it to work.  In some cases I have not.

Hi Phil,

There have been a bunch of changes to the drivers and the installer
between 2.1.4 and the 2.1.5 branch. You can try the following on the
machines that are giving you problems.

First make sure the 2.1.4 client is installed on the machine. It has a
rather unfortunate bug that prevents it from uninstalling correctly
under some circumstances. Next, install the 2.1.5 beta client. It has an
embedded uninstaller that will correctly remove existing components and
re-install the newer components. With any luck, you will be left with a
working client.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if it doesn't.