[Vpn-help] cannot browse file shares over VPN

Aaron Herkomer aherkomer at techvision.com
Thu Jun 18 14:11:38 CDT 2009

Sorry to be a bother, but this one is driving me nuts.  I am looking for a
64-bit replacement for Cisco's VPN client, so I am trying Shrew.
I am able to connect to my cisco VPN, but I cannot browse file shares (smb),
even by IP address (e.g. "\\192.168.X.X\share")

I can ping IP addresses of any server internally.  I can even access
internally hosted web pages and other services on internal servers.
I have tried adjusting the MTU to 1300 (and many other numbers) based on
feedback.  I have also disabled all firewall services.
The really strange thing, is that on my 32-bit test computer, I can connect
with the Cisco VPN client and browse the shares just fine.
But then I disconnect and immediatley connect with Shrew (same computer),
and I cannot browse network shares.

I have also tried:
net stop dnschache
net start dnscache
Shouldn't matter being that I am accessing by IP address, but hey why not
try everything.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
-Aaron