[Vpn-help] XP connected to a VPN router

Michael Russell russell at mtifilm.com
Fri Mar 6 11:10:54 CST 2009

On the LAN PC, check the "scope" setting in Windows Firewall (Exceptions
Tab) for "File & Print Sharing."  It's probably set to "subnet only" for
the 4 components of "File & Print Sharing."  You need a custom rule for
each of the 4, which includes the client PC or "Any Computer (including
those on the Internet)" to allow the connection.  Since your LAN PC is
(presumably) safely behind a firewall, then the "Any Computer" choice
should be safe.  However, you should confirm this with whomever is in
charge of your IT/Security Policy.

                                        Michael Russell
                                        russell at mtifilm.com